15 GOOD THINGS ABOUT LIVING IN KUWAIT
The cold is creeping into the edges of the day and night. It rained most of the day on December 24th, and it was the first day I wore my coat. I must now seriously consider wearing socks and using an umbrella, both of which I dislike. But it’s Christmas, the rain is falling, and the desert is in bloom
How does one spend Christmas in Kuwait? I’ve been answering text messages. They began arriving last night. Many of my colleagues text-ed, wishing me a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. I slept in, a rare treat. I avoided preparing a workshop, I just thought about it a lot and fuddled away the time. I went out and bought dessert for tonight’s dinner at Bev’s house. Beverly is a nice American woman I met at an Embassy function. She has been in the State Department her entire career and has lived in interesting places. When I met her I asked if she lived on the base.
She said “Only two kinds of people live on base: those with children and those who are afraid of Arabs.”
She lives in a villa in Adan, an area of Kuwait I am about to discover.
I was criticized by my friend Nizar of writing only about the "bad" things about Kuwait.
I don’t think this is true, but in the interest of blogging (how often do you get an idea
for an article, free?) here is a non-exhaustive list of the good things about living in Kuwait.
1. I feel really safe here. In no other place have I felt safe to walk the streets at night, leave my door unlocked,
get lost and talk to strangers.
2. The people are amazing. They are kind, open generous, affectionate and their hospitality knows no bounds.
3. There are people from all over the world here. The diversity is incredible.
4. Jobs, jobs, jobs! There is a lot of work here if you want to work.
5. A fine quality of life is available if you want a quiet, stable, alcohol and pork-free environment.
6. Alcohol and pork are available if you know the right people.
7. Kuwait is a modern city with lots of malls. If you like to shop, you will be in heaven.
8. Kuwait is situated on a bay.
9. The desert is nearby.
10. A man can have four wives if he is a Muslim. (Not my cup of tea, but it does have its appeal.)
11. You can drive the latest model car. It only requires the first month’s installment and proof of a steady job.
12. You can watch racy videos from other Gulf countries on cable.
13. You can afford to have a maid, a nanny, and a driver. They are three different people, each with his (or her) own position.
14. You can learn about a new culture, language, and Islam.
15. You will really appreciate America and the freedoms she affords her citizens.
How does one spend Christmas in Kuwait? I’ve been answering text messages. They began arriving last night. Many of my colleagues text-ed, wishing me a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. I slept in, a rare treat. I avoided preparing a workshop, I just thought about it a lot and fuddled away the time. I went out and bought dessert for tonight’s dinner at Bev’s house. Beverly is a nice American woman I met at an Embassy function. She has been in the State Department her entire career and has lived in interesting places. When I met her I asked if she lived on the base.
She said “Only two kinds of people live on base: those with children and those who are afraid of Arabs.”
She lives in a villa in Adan, an area of Kuwait I am about to discover.
I was criticized by my friend Nizar of writing only about the "bad" things about Kuwait.
I don’t think this is true, but in the interest of blogging (how often do you get an idea
for an article, free?) here is a non-exhaustive list of the good things about living in Kuwait.
1. I feel really safe here. In no other place have I felt safe to walk the streets at night, leave my door unlocked,
get lost and talk to strangers.
2. The people are amazing. They are kind, open generous, affectionate and their hospitality knows no bounds.
3. There are people from all over the world here. The diversity is incredible.
4. Jobs, jobs, jobs! There is a lot of work here if you want to work.
5. A fine quality of life is available if you want a quiet, stable, alcohol and pork-free environment.
6. Alcohol and pork are available if you know the right people.
7. Kuwait is a modern city with lots of malls. If you like to shop, you will be in heaven.
8. Kuwait is situated on a bay.
9. The desert is nearby.
10. A man can have four wives if he is a Muslim. (Not my cup of tea, but it does have its appeal.)
11. You can drive the latest model car. It only requires the first month’s installment and proof of a steady job.
12. You can watch racy videos from other Gulf countries on cable.
13. You can afford to have a maid, a nanny, and a driver. They are three different people, each with his (or her) own position.
14. You can learn about a new culture, language, and Islam.
15. You will really appreciate America and the freedoms she affords her citizens.

<< Home